×

Кавказский узел

Скачайте приложение — работает без VPN!
Скачать Скачать
09:24, 19 May 2026

New cases of detention have resulted in forced military service for Chechen residents.

Security forces carried out mass arrests of residents of several Chechen villages in the first ten days of May, and many of those detained were forced to sign contracts with the Ministry of Defense, activists reported. A human rights activist attributed the raids and arrests to a shortage of volunteer contract soldiers.

As reported by "Caucasian Knot," in April, activists reported a new wave of mass arrests in Chechnya. According to them, there could be "hundreds of people in recent days." It was claimed that some of the detainees were being taken to military registration and enlistment offices and forced to sign contracts for deployment to the SVO, while their relatives were being demanded to pay monetary compensation. According to activists, 60-year-old Chechen resident Mimbulatov, who was detained along with his two sons, died in a security agency detention center.

Analysts familiar with the situation in Chechnya have repeatedly called coercion into signing contracts typical for the republic. Thus, in November 2024, information emerged that security forces in Chechnya were conducting house-to-house visits and detaining men, offering them a choice between being sent to the front or facing criminal prosecution for visiting Telegram channels critical of the Chechen authorities.

Activists reported a new wave of detentions of Chechen residents

A Chechen opposition group in exile, monitoring human rights violations in the republic, reported new cases of local residents being detained for the purpose of forcing them to be sent to the combat zone.

Information about detentions in several villages was disseminated on May 7 and 8. According to activists, approximately 20 people were abducted in the village of Novy Sharoy. At least five people were detained in Samashki, and almost 30 people in Novye Atagi. On May 10, raids by security forces were reported in the village of Valerik, in areas known as "Komari Besh" and "First Pond," where, according to activists, "officers ambush young people, accusing them of drug use."

The fate of most of these detainees remains unknown, but some of them have already been forced to sign contracts, a representative of the opposition group that reported the arrests told a "Caucasian Knot" correspondent on May 18.

Some paid off with large sums of money.

"We rarely learn about the fate of those abducted. However, in the recent abductions, we can say that most were forced to sign contracts with the Ministry of Defense. Some paid off with large sums of money," he said.

According to his information, The wave of arrests "is still ongoing," and the authorities are now issuing summonses en masse. "Just today [May 18], we learned that the regime has started issuing summonses to everyone in order to recruit even more people," the activist said. According to the opposition group, 60-year-old Mimbulatov was not detained for deployment to the war zone. "Mimbulatov ended up in the station because of his sons, who were the main target [of the security forces]. Fortunately, so far, there has been no targeted hunt for the elderly," the activist said. There is no trend toward forced enlistment of minors in military units due to the formal requirement of adulthood when signing a contract, he noted. "Teenagers are most often abducted as part of systemic repression, attempts to intimidate, 're-educate,' or because of some incident in which a minor is suspected of being the perpetrator," the activist said.

Three 16-year-old schoolchildren had been held without charge in a Grozny security agency since December 2024, human rights activists reported in the summer of 2025. Within two weeks of this publication, the teenagers were released on the condition that their relatives sign contracts with the Ministry of Defense. Lawyers qualified this situation as hostage-taking.

Human rights activists receive indirect information about detentions

The Civic Assistance Committee (included in the foreign agent registry) has not received any direct complaints about the May detentions, Svetlana Gannushkina, head of the committee (included in the foreign agent registry), told a Caucasian Knot correspondent.

This is what we hear from people visiting Chechnya.

However, the human rights activist noted that she receives information about the detentions indirectly. "We hear about this from people coming from Chechnya and contacting us for various reasons," she said.

According to Gannushkina, the pressure on residents of the republic will only increase, since the resource of voluntary recruitment is being exhausted.

"It is quite possible that in In Chechnya, the number of people willing to participate in the Special Military Operations is falling – there are simply significantly fewer available soldiers left. It's natural to assume that the pressure to sign a contract will increase," the human rights activist said.

Chechnya's authorities regularly report sending groups of troops from the republic to the combat zone in Ukraine. There are 14,000 fighters sent from Chechnya in the combat zone, and the total number of troops sent from the republic has exceeded 70,000, Magomed Daudov, head of the regional government, announced on March 25.

Gannushkina doesn't consider the death of the 60-year-old detainee to be exceptional. According to her, age and other restrictions on forced contracting have long ceased to be observed, including outside of Chechnya.

A seven-month pregnant woman in Moscow was offered a contract.

"The boundaries [of recruitment] have long been expanded to infinity, and not only in Chechnya. One of our applicants, seven months pregnant, was offered a contract in Moscow during a criminal investigation. She consulted with me, and I couldn't figure out which of them was crazy. "Perhaps officials are also held accountable for such proposals," Svetlana Gannushkina said.

Gannushkina also believes that the practice of pressuring the relatives of detainees is long-standing, especially in Chechnya. "Pressure on relatives is constantly used in Chechnya for various purposes – family ties are strong, and collective responsibility is the norm there," the human rights activist said.

Detainees are required to sign contracts with the Ministry of Defense because Chechnya lacks volunteers to be sent to the military operation zone, analysts explained. "No matter how many millions [of rubles] they pay, no one wants to. They don't want to fight for the Russians, consciously, because they remember the war with Russia. This isn't a figure of speech, it's not a play on words; it's really true. And the authorities are now forcing them under any pretext, because people won't come," said, in particular, Ruslan Kutayev (included in the foreign agent registry).

16:00 28.03.2026
Human rights activists question the voluntariness of Chechen prisoners signing contracts
Data on the number of prisoners sent from Chechen colonies to the SVO zone cannot be verified, but the voluntariness of the contracts signed with the Ministry of Defense is questionable, human rights activists noted.

As a reminder, in January 2025, volunteers who arrived in Chechnya to sign a military contract complained that they were being kept locked up for weeks, to send them to the war zone in place of local residents who had paid their way out of military service. According to human rights activists, forced contracts are practiced in Chechnya, and security forces may create an "exchange fund" from volunteers arriving from other regions who will sign contracts in place of local residents.

In September 2024, it became known that security forces had detained five Azerbaijani citizens in Chechnya and were forcing them to sign military contracts; Following the release of this information, the foreign citizens were released and returned home. The Russian Special Forces University, a training center established by Ramzan Kadyrov in Gudermes, trains volunteers for deployment to war zones and is home to the Akhmat special forces unit, according to the Caucasian Knot report "What They Teach at Putin's Special Forces University in Chechnya."

Translated automatically via Google translate from https://www.kavkaz-uzel.eu/articles/423365

Know more? Do not be silent!
Send a message, photo or video to the "Caucasian Knot" via messengers
Photos and videos for publication must be sent via Telegram, using the «File» option, or via WhatsApp - using the «Document» option. The buttons work if Telegram and WhatsApp are installed. The contact number for Telegram and WhatsApp is +49 1577 2317856.
LEGAL TEXTS
The illustration was created by the Caucasian Knot using AI The peace agreement between Armenia and Azerbaijan, as well as other documents signed at the meeting with Trump on August 8, 2025

The “Caucasian Knot" publishes the agreement on the establishment of peace and interstate relations between Azerbaijan and Armenia, which was initialed by Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on August 8, 2025, through the mediation of US President Donald Trump. The meeting of Trump, Aliyev and Pashinyan took place on August 8 in Washington. Following the meeting, Pashinyan and Aliyev also signed a joint declaration. In addition to the agreements between Armenia and Azerbaijan, Trump signed a number of separate memoranda with Aliyev and Pashinyan....

Personalities
Zelimkhan Khangoshvili. Photo courtesy of press service of HRC 'Memorial', http://memohrc.org/ Zelimkhan Khangoshvili

A participant of the second Chechen military campaign, one of the field commanders close to Shamil Basaev and Aslan Maskhadov. Shot dead in Berlin in 2019.

Magomed Daudov. Photo: screenshot of the video http://video.agaclip.com/w=atDtPvLYH9o Magomed Daudov

Magomed "Lord" Daudov is a former Chechen militant who was awarded the title of "Hero of Russia", the chairman of the Chechen parliament under Ramzan Kadyrov.

Tumso Abdurakhmanov. Screenshot from video posted by Abu-Saddam Shishani [LIVE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIR3s7AB0Uw Tumso Abdurakhmanov

Tumso Abdurakhmanov is a blogger from Chechnya. After a conflict with Ramzan Kadyrov's relative, he left the republic and went first to Georgia, and then to Poland, where he is trying to get political asylum.